This is an overview of the 2014 version of Data Bus, 3rd place winner of the 2012 Sparkfun AVC.
Data Bus Specs
|Chassis||1/10th 2wd ECX Circuit RC vehicle with suspension tuned for improved cornering|
|Body||Parma “Skool Bus” custom painted by author|
|Motor||Tacon 3000Kv 2848-540XL brushless|
|Battery||Gens Ace 2S, 5000mAH 40C LiPo|
|Weight||Approximately 5 lbs|
|MCU||mbed 96MHz ARM Cortex M3|
|Power Supply||Pololu 3.5A, 5V Step Up Regulator|
|GPS||3DR uBlox LEA-6H set a 4Hz update rate|
|Gyro||Pololu MinIMU-9 with an STM L3G4200D 3-axis gyro|
|Wheel Encoders||32 ticks per revolution; QRE1113 IR sensor from Sparkfun, custom Schmitt trigger interface|
|Estimation||Heading via gyro in near real time unbiased using 2-state Kalman filter using GPS heading and time-lagged gyro heading inputs. Distance via wheel encoders.|
|GCS||Custom Ground Control Station written in Java Swing|
Changes Since 2012
- Converted to offline compile for mbed SDK. [source]
- Improved user configuration
- Attempted to implement FreeRTOS. Fail.
- Replaced previous GPS with 3DR uBlox LEA6-H.
- Converted path following to Pure Pursuit algorithm.
- Custom Ground Control Station (GCS) [source]
- Telemetry broadcast to GCS via Xbee Pro.
- Converted to XT60 connectors and new 2S LiPo.
- New RoverBaseboard to support mbed and LPCXpresso.
- New RoverMux multiplexer board.
Still To Do
- Robot does not stop upon reaching last waypoint;
- Unclear whether robot is accurately navigating to final waypoint;
- Test runs to verify precision, accuracy;
- Attempt to improve performance in speed, precision, and accuracy.
More Technical DetailsFor additional technical detail about the robot, click here.
Resourcesdiyrovers discussion group
ArduRover user's group at
Fundamentals of Kalman Filtering: A Practical Approach, Paul Zarchan,
VendorsECX, www.ecxrc.com, (800) 338-4639
Sparkfun Electronics, www.sparkfun.com, (303) 284-0979 (No phone orders)
Pololu, www.pololu.com, (877) 776-5658
HobbyPartz, hobbypartz.com, (626) 968-9860
A Main Hobbies, www.amainhobbies.com, (800) 705-2215
Acroname Robotics, www.acroname.com, (720) 564-0373
2012 AVC Results
Air:1st Place: Team Overhead, 36.62 seconds
2nd Place: Team Robota, 44.50 seconds
3rd Place: Lost in Air-Space, 54 seconds
Ground:1st Place: Team 0x27, 2.08 seconds (32.08 raw)
2nd Place: Team Minuteman, 9.46 seconds (39.46 raw)
3rd Place: Team Databus, 37.16 seconds (37.16 raw)
Other:Crowd pleaser: Die!Wheel!
Rookie Award: Short Circuit
Best Dressed: Kegbot
Water Hazard: Viator
Engineer's choice: Namniart
Kill Switch: Snobbotics
Purple Heart: Snobbotics, Team Databus
The 2012 Recap: http://www.sparkfun.com/news/894